A Look at the Issues Surrounding Passports and Child Custody

When you go through a divorce, your divorce lawyer will help you navigate complex child custody issues and child custody laws in Owings Mills or anywhere in Maryland. For instance, if you or your ex-spouse wants to travel out of the country with your child, there may be restrictions or special guidelines regarding getting a passport for your child. Here is a look at the issues surrounding passports and child custody laws.

How to Get a Passport for a Child After a Divorce

Passport for a Child after a Divorce in Owing Mills Both parents need to provide signatures in order to apply for and obtain a passport for a child, regardless of whether the parents are married, divorced, separated, or were never married. The only exception to this rule is if you were granted sole child custody after your divorce or legal separation. You can also obtain a passport with only one parent’s signature if the passport is required to maintain the health or welfare of your child, or if there are special family circumstances that require travel. In these circumstances, your family law attorney would have to secure a court order.

What to Do if You Object to Your Child Traveling with Your Ex-Spouse

If your ex-spouse asks you to sign a passport application and you object to your child traveling with him or her, you can refuse to sign. Your ex-spouse can ask his divorce lawyer to petition the court to order you to sign the application. You can advise the court if you’re concerned that your ex will abduct your child.

How to Set Up a Passport Alert

If your child already has a passport and you’re concerned that your ex-spouse will take your child out of the country, you can set up a passport alert. You will need to register with the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert System. Once you register your child, a passport cannot be issued unless you are contacted first. You will be alerted if a new passport is issued or if an old one is renewed, even if you don’t have sole child custody.